Sunday, March 3, 2013

Leaving Manaus

March 3, 2013
Today has been an exciting one as I did a river cruise on the Rio Negro to Lake January. Lots of new species of birds and fish in the Amazon Basin. We saw wild rice growing and wondered why the people did not harvest it and sell it. The guide said that they left it for the birds. We saw many houses built on barges and so if you do not like your neighbor you just move the house up or down the river. Boats of all sizes use the river. It is a transportation highway and the school boat gets the children to and from local schools. We stopped at a floating restaurant where we boarded smaller canoe type boats with a roof and an outboard motor and had fun going into smaller channels. Sandbars are many so our pilots really know the rivers and where to go. We are in the rainy season and the river can vary by as much as 30 feet. In fact in a period of 20 minutes a boardwalk linking two barges together had become so steep it was hard to step across. I had to step up about 2 1/2 feet. On the return trip we experienced an Amazonian rain burst. Even with a roof on the boat the rain just blew in from the sides. Of course, I had to find some handmade jewelery from the Amazon.
The Amazon River has a lot of sandbars in it and the water looks nothing like rivers that I have seen. There is so much silt that filtering water is not done as it would plug up the system. Therefore our water supply on board is limited. No laundry facilities until we return to the Atlantic Ocean. I got so wet from the downpour that shower taking is not necessary today. Many large cruise ships have a desalination plant on board so water put through an onboard purification process can be potable. Normally seawater is used for the toilet so there are a couple of water systems in the ship. Water from the bathroom tap is drinkable.
Last night we had a local dance group come on the ship and perform an Amazonian Folklorica Show with dance and songs. They started with the indigenous dances that have been preserved and we watched as the effects of the Spanish and the Europians slowly changed the history of the dances and the pair who did the Samba was absolutely spectacular.
We are heading back toward the Atlantic now having seen the "Meeting of the Waters" where two rivers flow side by side down the Amazon not mixing for a few miles. Tomorrow we land in Parantins and with some patience and my camera I hope to see the pink Amazonian dolphin. I have been told that they play off the side of the ship. How they became pink is unknown to me but that will be researched when I get back home. I can only make guesses now.
We had a great evening a few nights ago when we attended a murder mystery dinner which was well done and the food was tastey. I did not guess the murderer even when I was sitting right in the middle of all the action. That night we were delivered a nice Retirement Cake to our table so I have no idea who could have let them know. That night was March 1 and I think my favorite travel agent must have let Holland America know. Mez`s official last day of employment was February 28.
Tomorrow will be another busy day as we host a group of Parantins school children on the ship. With watching for pink dolphins, having ice cream with children who only speak dialects of Portuguese and I will be in the spa I do not know when I will post again. We have made arrangements with our tablemates to try a new food experience on board. A part of the Lido deck Restaurant is being used for Chinese buffet so our dining table will be up there tomorrow evening. Our next formal night we will be having cocktails with the captain in his quarters and also dinner with him in the Pinacle Grill. That should be fun as he has a great sense of humor.
This has been a very eye-opening adventure..... I encourage folks to broaden their horizons, get out and see the world of culture, food and make new friends. Here is hoping that everyone is in good health. All the best, from the Amazon.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tracy-
    Congratulations, Mez! Retirement... it's official. And to think it happened in the Southern Hemisphere!

    Interesting that the ship closes down fresh water processing when in the Amazon. I hope they warned you so you could get your laundry done beforehand! lol

    I don't know if you can link your camera to the computer but it would sure be cool to see a few pics of pink dolphins!

    Be well, you two.
    -B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never thought of cruising the Amazon region. But after reading your blog it has been added to my bucket list

    ReplyDelete